In USA, driving without car insurance is an offence that exposes the driver to serious financial and legal consequences. Fines, suspension of license, even confiscation of the vehicle: the point on the risks incurred in case of driving without car insurance.
The legal risks of driving without insurance
The risks of driving without car insurance are multiple. It is an act considered as a crime: it is punished by USA law. Indeed, the subscription of a car insurance contract is a compulsory step for all drivers of a motorized. According to the legislation in force, every motorist must benefit from a minimum protection known as civil liability, in order to cover bodily injury and/or material damage caused to a third party in case of a road accident.
If a lack of insurance is found, the motorist is liable to a fine of 3 750 dollarss1, to which may be added additional penalties such as
- the suspension of the license for a period of 3 years at most,
- the obligation to carry out, at his expense, a training course of sensitization to the road safety,
- the cancellation of the driving license with a ban on applying for a new license for up to 3 years,
- confiscation of the vehicle used by the offender to commit the offence, if he/she is the owner,
- a ban on driving certain motorized vehicles for up to 5 years (including those for which a driver’s license is not required).
In the event of a repeat offence, the penalty could be up to a fine of dollarss7,500, plus additional penalties such as the cancellation of the driver’s license with a three-year ban on retaking it, the confiscation of the vehicle, or a community service sentence, or a fine of days.
Heavy financial consequences in case of accidents
Driving a car without insurance can have serious financial consequences. In addition to fines and additional penalties, you may have to pay large sums of money, especially in the event of an accident. The motorist responsible for the accident driving without insurance will not receive any compensation for bodily injury or property damage. In addition, he or she will be required to reimburse the FGAO for all amounts incurred to compensate the victim(s) of the accident.
The victims of an accident caused by an uninsured driver will in principle be compensated by the GFCI, the Guarantee Fund for Compulsory Insurance, an organization set up by the State to compensate for this type of situation.